Saturday, September 02, 2006

Questions for next Chancellor during interviews

I think one of the big problems that Wendler and the rest of the SIUC administrators have is they don't read "Dilbert." When the search is on for his replacement (about this time next year I would guess) the search committee should ask the candidates to comment on the last week or so Dilbert cartoons. If they don't read Dilbert, don't hire them. There are way to many Dilbert moments around here for my taste.

For example, for the football game the other night SIUC hosted a tent in the tailgate area as they always do. This year it is called "The Saluki Way" tent (I can't find the link on the DE site or I would post it). If there was a Dilbert for colleges, this would make the cut.

For the last couple of years you can spot the administration stooges because they are the ones with the "Southern at 150" pins on their jackets. I pointed this out to a really smart guy who serves on the EE department's external advisory board with me and he laughed and told me he hadn't worn the jacket he had on since the previous year when they gave him the pin. :)

Just because you can rename everything on the earth after your latest plan, doesn't make the plan less lame. To all of us with clear minds, it makes your management team seem desperate and overbearing. If the Saluki Way (which is just a repackaged Southern at 150) had legs you shouldn't have to re-label everything to push it, the people would rally to the cause because it was the right thing to do.

On a side note, you would have to guess that Wendler has setup a management team where he has no sounding boards and where honest opinions are not welcome. How else could the plans be so impossible?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What role would you have athletics play on this campus?

Also, what would you do about the McDump, I mean McAndrew Stadium? I don't think it can be saved, and I really don't see the instituional appetite to drop football.