Thursday, September 14, 2006

Mentoring program for SIU students

I know that I have called this one of Wendler's good management initiatives, but I went to lunch with the new College of Business Dean (Dennis Cradit) yesterday and we were talking about this program a little bit.

I thought back to my student days and realized that I didn't want to talk to a professor about school, I wanted to talk to a senior. My big brother was a couple of years ahead of me and he clued me in on how to do SIU. Which professors to take and which to avoid, which classes to take for electives (Harold's class for example), where the girl's hung out, and how to sign up for intramural sports. The important stuff.

After mentioning this to the Dean, he said that CoBA had a program in Accounting for student to student mentoring. I talked to some people at work, they told me that journalism has some student mentoring going.

I'm not the smartest knife in the drawer, but does it seem to anyone else that the administration didn't do their homework here? At least two of the better departments on campus have mentoring programs. I wonder if student to students a better solution than professor to student mentoring? Seems like a survey of best practices might be in order (again).

No comments: