Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I notice that 17th Street BBQ is one of the SI Top 20 - drop in quality?

One of the biggest slides in food quality I have seen in Southern Illinois is the 17th Street BBQ restaurants. 5 years ago I thought that 17th Street was a world class BBQ place. Today the quality of the groceries they buy just isn't as good and the quality of what they serve isn't as good. The spices are the same though.

I have been going to Memphis to see the ear surgeons at the Shea Ear Clinic and eating at Corky's for the last few months. 5 years ago, 17th Street was as good as Corky's. Today it just isn't as good, because the quality of the ribs put into the cooker aren't as good IMHO. Another example, they used to serve good rolls at night at 17th Street, today they are serving wonder bread. You should taste the rolls at Corky's, they are so good they are evil.

It is a shame, but I can't count 17th Street among my suggested restaurants anymore. It used to be a place to take my West Coast visitors to for a treat. Judging by the line waiting for seats, I think everyone else has figure this out too.

What do you think? Is 17th Street still up to level it used to be?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed a significant drop in quality several years ago. I've only been to the Marion location once. I remember it being a little bit better. I've really enjoyed Great Boars of Fire (http://www.greatboarsoffire.com/) on several occasions. Unfortunately, they don't have a restaurant.

Anonymous said...

I agree. It doesn't live up to the hype anymore. I took my family there about two years ago and they were not impressed at all. Haven't been back since.

Anonymous said...

17th hasn't been the same for 10 years if you ask me. I can't put my finger on it but... They never served the championship BBQ to the public. BigBoysQn suffered similar fate. Started really great, with fall-off-the-bone ribs of top quality. Exquisite food for 6 months to a year. (Went to pot about the time they hired a new manager, I think he's still there.) Now it's pretty much just a dive of a bar. (complete with stabbings.) I guess there isn't enough money to keep a good bbq place, which requires long cooking times, going in SI.

PeterG said...

I think it is very hard to keep a restaurant going at a high quality over the years. I think the quality dropped when the Mills got divorced and Sue didn't run the kitchen anymore, but I'm just guessing. My restaurant expert says that the number is about 7 years when owners burnout.

If you try Corky's in Memphis, it is hard to pay 17th Street's higher prices for far less quality and quanity.

Anonymous said...

Actually the ribs are the same, from the same company and they are still serving the rolls, I don't know when you got white bread but BBQ and white bread are like two peas in a pod. I know this first hand as an employee for quite some time.

PeterG said...

Went to 17th Street last Friday night. Ribs were good, seems to be a move back to bigger ribs. The rolls really stink, they used to be way better. A half rack was $15 and a full rack was $20! Wow, the prices are through the roof.

Corky's is better on all counts. Though, I think I like the fries at 17th St. better.

When people tell me they have been an employee of some place in Southern Illinois for "some time," generally, they mean they are 20 and have worked there for 18 months. Doesn't stack up well in the scope of an adult's life.

PeterG said...

Went to 17th Street last Friday night. Ribs were good, seems to be a move back to bigger ribs. The rolls really stink, they used to be way better. A half rack was $15 and a full rack was $20! Wow, the prices are through the roof.

Corky's is better on all counts. Though, I think I like the fries at 17th St. better.

When people tell me they have been an employee of some place in Southern Illinois for "some time," generally, they mean they are 20 and have worked there for 18 months. Doesn't stack up well in the scope of an adult's life.