Thursday, August 03, 2006

The organizations that are doing the most for Carbondale's future?

I have been a big supporter of the Boys and Girls Club of Carbondale (their website isn't great, but it is linked out of the title) for the last few years. They are going great guns. Serving around 100 kids per day this summer, and great volunteer efforts from many. As a special bonus to readers of this blog, I will match any financial contribution you make to the BGCC (just send me email or tell the BGCC and I'll write the check). I figure if you were to spend a $1,000,000 on trying to reach out to the poor kids of Carbondale that you couldn't do as well as this club. Go check it out, it is inspiring to see.

A second club that I have just seen in the last few weeks is Black's Martial Arts Academy (http://www.blacksmartialarts.com/). Master Black is located in the old Carbondale High School (where the science classrooms and computer rooms were for you locals) and has really built a nice setup for himself. Master Black has a great teaching style and is great with kids. I can see Master Black being another place where kids can go to improve their lives. Like the Boys and Girls Club, but maybe for kids that need a little combat? I'll be looking into this operation and I'll report back on what I find here.

One of the enjoyable parts of seeing the Boys and Girl's Club programs is seeing the young black men down volunteering there. They are smart, motivated and one of the groups that has the most to say to the kids in the club as positive roll models.

No comments: