Monday, August 07, 2006

The Global Gourmet - Restaurant Review

I went to the Global Gourmet last week with a friend and had lunch. I had Jamaican rubbed chicken, curry rice and cucumber salad. I loved the chicken and rice, while the cucumber salad was well prepared I would choose something else next time. The chicken was a large breast with a little kick in the spices. The rice was long grained, with almonds and dried cranberries and of course light curry spices. Both were excellent. My friend had curry chicken salad that looked really good. We both had the coconut cream pie for desert. The pie was excellent, though my wife's pie crust is better. :) The water had a lime slice, which was a nice touch.

The meals ran around $12 a piece and desserts were another $3.50 (I think, teach me to wait a few days before blogging). I remember the bill ran $32 including tax, but not tip. Kind of high for a Carbondale lunch, but downright cheap for the big city.

This is pretty high end stuff for Carbondale, but I think the Global Gourmet has to be included in the finest restaurants in Carbondale area. I guess I understand why you might go to Houlihans (I included the link in the title, Global Gourmet doesn't have a website that I can find) and the like, but the food at the Global Gourmet is better, a whole lot better.

Global Gourmet
102 East Jackson Street
Carbondale,IL 62901
618.549.0771

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. Nice little place she's got there. I particularly liked the fact that she has a modest assortment of "global" beers to choose from - fitting her theme nicely. Nothing groundbreaking,selection-wise, but it's a start.

I'd love to "consult" for the owner on getting a representative beer from every major country in-house ... for a modest fee, of course (a free beer ought to cover it). Oh, I have suggestions!

And, oh yeah, the food really is very good too. Good review.

Anonymous said...

The Global Gourmet in my opinion has the best-tasting food in Carbondale. The enviornment inside is very comforting as well. Great work Tip!