Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Poor health care providers or political attack?

I was reading (again) about the "poor health care professionals" and their "dire" problems with not being paid on time by the State of Illinois. Click the title of this offering for the Southern Illusion's article.

Let me explain the facts of doing business as I see them. The state owes "The Clinic" some money that everyone knows they are going to pay late. So "The Clinic" goes and gets a loan from their local friendly banker to pay their bills until the money from the state arrives. The interest on the loan is figured into what people are charged, so "The Clinic" isn't really loosing anything. Certainly, the clinic's owners wish they could make more.

If we define being rich as the state where your average employee has a house of greater than 5000 square feet, I'm thinking that "The Clinic" as an organization is rich. So, why are a bunch of rich people complaining about this? I guess they might think that they are entitled to more profit (I think I am also) or it could be a good political lever to attack the Democratic Governor in an election year? Everyone knows that trial lawyers are Demos and Doctors, Insurance Agents and Drug companies are Republicans. Most likely it is a little of both.

No comments: