Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Murphy Walmart, now things get interesting.

I was reading the front page of the Southern Illusion yesterday and enjoyed their little article about the nice folks trying to stop Wallyworld from opening a big store in their residential neighborhood. A key idea is that Murphysboro has blown the legal description of the land and should be forced to go back to square one on the whole annexation and rezoning of the land. Your insider scoop is that Murphy did blow the legal description, but may be able to go forward anyway. The courts will be handing down decisions about this and a number of other issues throughout the rest of the year (at least).

If Murphysboro has to go through the whole thing again, I have a suggestion for the local home owners who are trying to stop it to start planning self storage units, drug treatment centers, trailer courts and other undesirable neighborhood business next to the homeowners who signed the petition. Share the pain. Let other neighbors get that "not in my backyard feeling." I'm sure that some people are doing it because it is good for their town, but many more are doing it because they might be able to sell out and make money. I would be figuring out who needed to share the pain of commercial development if I was trying to stop it.

Let me say now for the record that I like to live where there is zoning. There is nothing better for the pols of Murphy than this deal, you get to screw over people who don't vote for you. I'll wait for someone wiser than be to decide if the Murphysboro city government has acted unethically on this whole deal. I can tell you that I would be pretty pissed if they were building a loading dock in my backyard.

No comments: